As the summer approaches and the weather gets warmer, many of us are eager to spend more time outdoors, enjoying our patios, decks, and backyard spaces. One question that often comes up is whether or not it is safe to leave patio furniture outside in the rain. The short answer is, it depends on the type of patio furniture you have.
Leaving Patio Furniture Outside In The Rain
First and foremost, it is important to consider the material of your patio furniture. Some materials, such as aluminum and plastic, are more resistant to water and can withstand being left outside in the rain. However, other materials, such as wood and fabric, are more prone to damage from water exposure.
If you have wooden patio furniture, it is generally not recommended to leave it outside in the rain. Wood is a natural material that is prone to warping, splitting, and rot when it gets wet. This is especially true if the wood is not properly sealed or protected. Even if your wooden patio furniture is treated or coated with a water-resistant finish, it is still at risk of damage from prolonged exposure to rain and moisture.
Similarly, fabric patio furniture, such as cushioned chairs or outdoor curtains, should not be left outside in the rain. Fabric can absorb water, causing it to become heavy and difficult to dry. This can lead to mold and mildew growth, which can be harmful to your health and ruin the appearance of your furniture.
On the other hand, aluminum and plastic patio furniture are much more resistant to water and can withstand being left outside in the rain. Aluminum is a strong and durable material that does not rust or corrode, making it a great choice for outdoor furniture. Plastic is also a popular material for patio furniture because it is lightweight, easy to clean, and resistant to water damage.
How To Protect Outdoor Furniture From Rain
If you do decide to leave your patio furniture outside in the rain, it is important to take some precautions to protect it.
- One option is to cover your furniture with a patio furniture cover or tarp. This will help to keep the furniture dry and protect it from the elements.
- You can also consider placing your furniture under a porch or patio cover to provide additional protection from the rain.
- Another option is to bring your patio furniture indoors or into a garage or shed when it is not in use. This will keep it out of the rain and prevent water damage.
- If you do not have space to store your furniture indoors, you can invest in a patio furniture storage bag or box to keep it safe and dry.
Can You Leave Patio Cushions Outside In The Rain
It depends on the materials that the cushions are made from. If the cushions are made from water-resistant or waterproof materials, such as synthetic fabrics or PVC-coated fabrics, then they should be able to withstand some exposure to rain.
However, if the cushions are made from materials that are not water-resistant or waterproof, such as cotton or wool, then they will likely become waterlogged and damaged if left outside in the rain.
It’s also worth noting that even if the cushions themselves are water-resistant, the filling inside of them may not be. If the filling is made of foam or other materials that can absorb water, it will become heavy and less comfortable to sit on when wet, and may take a long time to dry out.
How To Protect Outdoor Cushions From Rain
To protect your patio cushions from the rain and prolong their life, it’s best to bring them indoors or cover them with a waterproof patio furniture cover when they’re not in use.
Alternatively, you could also get outdoor cushions that made specifically to withstand the outdoor environment, which means they are often UV-resistant, waterproof and mold-resistant.
Best Outdoor Furniture For Rainy Weather
When it comes to outdoor furniture that can withstand rainy weather, there are a few materials and types that are known for their durability and resistance to the elements:
- Teak: Teak wood is known for its natural resistance to rot, decay, and insect damage, making it a great choice for outdoor furniture. It’s also able to withstand exposure to rain and other types of inclement weather.
- Aluminum: Aluminum furniture is lightweight, rust-resistant, and easy to maintain. It’s a good option if you want furniture that won’t rust or become heavy when wet.
- Wicker: Wicker furniture made with synthetic resin is a great option if you want the look of traditional wicker furniture but with added durability. Resin wicker is resistant to water, sun, and extreme temperatures, making it ideal for outdoor use.
- Metal: Outdoor metal furniture like wrought iron or steel are heavy and sturdy options that can withstand the elements well, but can rust over time if not treated and painted.
- Plastic: Resin and plastic furniture are also a great option for rainy weather because they’re lightweight, easy to clean, and can withstand exposure to the elements.
Keep in mind that whatever material you choose, it’s always a good idea to have furniture covers to protect them when not in use, especially during heavy rain.
Another tip is to look for furniture that have good drainage and ventilation, this will prevent water from pooling on the surface and make it easy for any moisture to escape, this can also help prolong the life of your furniture and prevent mold or mildew.
Whether or not you can leave your patio furniture outside in the rain depends on the material it is made of. Wood and fabric patio furniture are more prone to damage from water exposure and should be brought indoors or covered when it is raining.
Aluminum and plastic patio furniture are more resistant to water and can withstand being left outside in the rain. However, it is always a good idea to take some precautions, such as covering your furniture or storing it indoors, to protect it from the elements and extend its lifespan.