Outdoor furniture is a great way to add style and function to your backyard or patio, but it can also be susceptible to damage from wind. High winds can cause chairs, tables, and other pieces to tip over or break, which can be costly to replace.
In this blog post, we will discuss some tips and strategies for securing your outdoor furniture from wind damage.
Ways to Secure Outdoor Furniture from Wind
Choose the Right Furniture:
When selecting outdoor furniture, it’s important to choose pieces that are designed to withstand wind. Look for furniture made of sturdy materials like metal, wrought iron, or teak, which are less likely to break or tip over in high winds. Avoid lightweight or flimsy furniture that can easily be blown away.
One of the most effective ways to secure outdoor furniture from wind is to use anchors. There are several types of anchors available, including stakes, weights, and tie-downs. Stakes can be driven into the ground to anchor furniture to the ground. Weights can be placed on top of furniture to keep it in place. Tie-downs can be used to secure furniture to a nearby tree or other stationary objects.
Another way to protect outdoor furniture from wind is to cover it when not in use. Furniture covers are available in a variety of sizes and styles, and can be used to cover individual pieces or entire sets. Make sure to choose a cover that is made of a durable, weather-resistant material.
If you live in an area with frequent high winds, it’s a good idea to store your outdoor furniture when not in use. This will protect it from damage and prolong its lifespan. Consider storing furniture in a shed or garage, or use a furniture storage cover to protect it from the elements.
Position Furniture Properly:
Finally, it’s important to position your outdoor furniture in a way that minimizes the risk of damage from wind. Avoid placing furniture in open areas where it can be easily blown over. Instead, place it near buildings or trees that can provide some protection. Also, make sure that furniture is positioned on level ground to prevent it from tipping over.
How Much Wind Speed Can Move Patio Furniture?
The wind speed required to move patio furniture can vary depending on several factors, including the weight and size of the furniture, the material it is made of, and the surface it is placed on. Generally, wind speeds of 15-20 mph or higher can be strong enough to move or tip over patio furniture.
However, even lower wind speeds can be a problem if the furniture is lightweight or poorly secured. To minimize the risk of wind damage to your patio furniture, it is important to take the necessary precautions such as using anchors, covers, or storing them when not in use, and positioning them in a protected area.
Best Patio Furniture Weights
There are several types of weights that can be used to secure patio furniture, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Some of the best options include:
- Concrete weights: These are heavy and durable, making them ideal for securing large patio furniture sets. They can be filled with sand or gravel for added weight.
- Umbrella weights: These are specifically designed for securing patio umbrellas. They can be filled with sand or water to add weight and keep the umbrella in place.
- Water-filled weights: These weights are typically made of plastic and can be filled with water to add weight to patio furniture. They are easy to move and store, but they may not be as durable as other options.
- Sand-filled weights: These weights can be filled with sand or gravel to add weight to patio furniture. They are durable and easy to move, but they may not be as visually appealing as other options.
- Furniture cover weights: Some furniture covers come with weights that can be filled with sand or water to hold the cover in place and keep the furniture secure.
Ultimately, the best patio furniture weight for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider the size and weight of your furniture, the materials it’s made of and the place you have for the weights when choosing the best option for you.
Heavy Outdoor Furniture for Windy Areas
When choosing outdoor furniture for windy areas, it’s important to select pieces that are heavy and sturdy enough to withstand the wind. Some materials that are particularly well-suited for windy areas include:
- Wrought Iron: Wrought iron is a strong and durable material that can withstand high winds. It is heavy and does not blow away easily.
- Teak: Teak is a dense hardwood that is naturally resistant to rot, decay, and insects. It is also heavy and does not blow away easily.
- Aluminum: Aluminum furniture is lightweight and rust-resistant. Heavy-duty aluminum furniture is designed to withstand high winds and can be a good choice for windy areas.
- Concrete: Concrete furniture is heavy and can withstand high winds. It is also durable and long-lasting.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel furniture is heavy and durable, it can withstand high winds and it is also rust-resistant.
When selecting outdoor furniture for windy areas, it’s important to look for pieces that are sturdy and well-constructed, and that have been designed to withstand high winds.
Additionally, it is important to use anchors, weights or tie-downs to secure the furniture to the ground or to another stationary object.
Securing outdoor furniture from wind damage is an important aspect of enjoying your backyard or patio. By choosing the right furniture, using anchors, covering it, storing it properly and positioning it in the right way, you can protect your outdoor furniture and enjoy it for years to come.
With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can keep your outdoor furniture safe from the elements, and enjoy it for years to come.